Saturday, June 16, 2012

7/365

My fiancee had the idea of writing about waiting for things. Patience is not my strong point,but lately God has been teaching me patience, and so I can share some of my own journey with you all.

I do not do well with waiting for things to happen. I am a person who likes to take action, and normally I will decide on a course of action as soon as I may, and then I will do as much as I can to make that happen. Sometimes it happens, though, that God makes you wait a while for Him to make clear the path that you are to take. This happened in my own life recently. I had to face the reality that I did not know how or if I would be able to return to school to finish my senior year of college. I spent half of a summer desperately working to earn the money I needed in order to return to school.

I spent four weeks that summer working as a tree planter in Northern Ontario. A tough job, I did not have the mental strength to handle it. Several times I was unable to work because I would hyperventilate over the stress of having to do more than I could manage in order to go back to school. One day I was in the hospital, afraid and stressed to the breaking point. I had brought with me my Bible with me and turned to Psalm 121

I will lift up my eyes unto the hills, from where comes my help. My help comes from the Lord, which made heaven and earth. He will not suffer your foot to be moved: he that keeps you will not slumber. Behold, he that keeps Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord is your keeper: the Lord is you shade upon your right hand. The sun shall not smite you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord shall preserve you from all evil: He shall preserve your soul. The Lord shall preserve your going out and your coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.


This passage comforted me, and gave me something to focus on, even as I realized that in that moment there was nothing I could actively do to make anything happen. Even as I focused on the Lord as my Help and did not expect myself to be able to make my own way to school, God made a way for me to return to my studies.

Waiting is still not easy for me, but I know now that no matter what, God makes a way if we but trust in Him and the wisdom of His ways above our own.


No comments:

Post a Comment