Thursday, June 14, 2012

5/365

Hello to all, and I am sorry I missed yesterday! I got a very strange strain of the stomach flu. I am feeling better today, thankfully, so I will attempt to a post today!

I think that it is really easy to get caught up in the doom and gloom of Christianity. We get bogged down by the reality and seriousness of sin. While those are important things to remember, all to quickly we are walking around with long faces and the people around us think that there could be no worse fate in life than to become a Christian.

How sad! If I could be in my right  mind all the time and keep perspective, I would strive to make Christianity the most joyful of all religions and life choices. There is so much beauty and joy to be had in participating in the Life of the Body of Christ. Our joy may be a deeper, and more solemn joy than the typical capering of the world, but I think Christians could afford to caper a little more when the fit takes them.

Throughout the Psalms God commands His people to sing Him a new song. In my experience this can be done with almost any song (as long as it does not support anything contrary to God's word). My most recent experience with this truth was on choir tour with my college concert choir this past spring. We travelled into the southwestern states during our Spring Break. 14 days on a bus together, and the atmosphere was still caring, joyful and loving. Each night we all as a choir did our absolute best work to ensure that the audience for that night could experience the total breadth, hight, and depth that each one of us individual singers found in the music. What an explosion of creativity, colour, sound, musicality and beauty there was on the stage each night. Singing beside the same people over and over again allowed you to trust that the people on either side of you would know and own each one of their notes, enabling you to sink into the harmonies and enjoy the texture of each piece. When I think of what it might be like to sing in heaven, I think of that experience and then wonder how it could get better. In my mind it could not, but I know God's idea of what is true and good goes far beyond mine, and I am glad for that.

I know not everyone reading this is a musician, but I hope this account inspires you to think of the best, most selfless, amazing experience you have ever had, and then wonder how that could last for an eternity, and exist even better than it was! Praise God for His beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment